[j-nsp] TCP SYN attack causing BGP peer down?

ying zhang cynthia_dal at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 28 14:31:29 EDT 2008

We experienced a TCP SYN attack from internet today (about 350,000 pps). Our internet pipe with ISP is 300Mb/s. The attack caused our BGP peer to be tear down. Just wondering why this could happen if our pipe is not fully saturated? Shouldn't the BGP packets have the highest priority? Is there a way to stop it proactively? We have a Juniper M120.
    Thanks.
    Cyn.