[j-nsp] tunneling on MX

Marlon Duksa mduksa at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 13:53:43 EDT 2008

I remember running mcast traffic on MX without converting a port to a
'tunneling' module. Why is Juniper saying that for multicast tunnels (mt),
this tunneling service on a port is necessary?
I also remember running VPLS without it (no-tunneling-service command). Why
do I need this tunneling mode  than on MX?

I guess the tunneling service provide acceleration, but does that mean that
it should work even without it, just that performance will be lower?

Also, on M-series, why do you have to have MS-PIC? Can all the tunneling and
processing be done on the control plane CPU? The performance would suffer I
understand, but in some cases we don't have a lot of traffic in tunnels.

Thanks,
Marlon