[j-nsp] Route Reflecting & Next-Hop Self

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Wed Sep 10 10:47:39 EDT 2008

Of course it depends on the ISP.  It's all about growing a bush tall and
wide, not too tall, not too wide.

Depends on how much summarization you can do with your address space,
how regionalized their address space is, If they have been lucky enough
to de-aggregate supernets, and keep aside subnets for IGP only, and
carry all customer routes in iBGP...  (I know people who feel it's good
to carry all their *customer* routes & transfernets in their IGP!)
What if they're old and confederated?  or they have a complex
Route-Reflecting hierarchy... what their policy is on customer address
space portability.  Can I-customer take my /29 from Pittsburgh to
California?  Can I take it from Toronto East to Toronto West?