[j-nsp] BGP Hold time expiry

Peter E. Fry pfry-lists at redsword.com
Fri Sep 19 13:46:59 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Harry Reynolds" <harry at juniper.net>

> Aside from a problem with the EBGP link, I am thinking
> perhaps a PMTU issue. [...]

  I used to run into this type of thing on FRF.16 FRATM
links, where the ATM side is a Cisco device -- MTU=4470B on
the Cisco and 1600B on the frame side of the link.  I'd
always assumed that it was a PMTUD problem, but now that I
think about it, there was no layer-3 intermediate to respond
to the DF bit.  Being on the Cisco side of the situation and
under time constraints, I never investigated it -- I'd just
drop the IP MTU on the Cisco to 1500B.  I imagine it worked
with Cisco CPE because the Cisco would advertise a 1460B MSS
on serial links, and I'll bet the Juniper advertises...
more.  After all these years I finally have a link on which
I can investigate this -- I may just get off my backside and
do it.

Peter E. Fry