[j-nsp] BFD?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Sep 29 21:34:15 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 09:25:14 Fitter wrote:

> I am reading about BFD - Bidirectional Forwarding
> Detection. I am in confused that why some routing
> protocol have already the keepalive engine still need to
> enforce with BFD?

Because most routing protocols would generally employ
intervals by the second - this might be too long for
failure detection, much less convergence.

BFD provides failure detection in the order of sub-seconds
(more precisely, milliseconds). If properly configured with
the intended client routing protocol, convergence can be
hastened.

Cheers,

Mark.