[j-nsp] EX4200 9.4R2.9 process crash on previously valid config

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Apr 2 21:57:36 EDT 2009

On Friday 03 April 2009 09:14:28 am Richard A Steenbergen
wrote:

> Dare I ask who you're defending here? In all honesty,
> with respect to the quality and time/attention that goes
> into the software development and QA process of new
> software, JUNOS has gone massively down hill lately.
> Anyone who expects that a bug fix R1->R2 build is not
> likely to introduce some massive new issue in something
> that was previously working fine clearly hasn't been
> deploying JUNOS over the last year.

I realize that Juniper have to make a new release every
quarter, and in most (if not all) cases, there is some new
feature which has the potential to cause "badness" to
systems that are already working fine.

I think what I'd like to see is a fork of the code base
which consolidates all new features up until that point, and
then enters into a maintenance state - only bug fixes, with
no new features.

Other iterations of the code would continue to come out with
new features every quarter.

I realize this is entering Cisco territory, but given that
each new release of JunOS has new features that could
potentially cause problems, and previous bugs still go
unfixed (priorities?), I don't see a better way to have
stability if we keep chasing bug fixes in new releases that
lead to newer bugs we keep chasing fixes for in even newer
releases, e.t.c.

Cheers,

Mark.