[j-nsp] SSG5 Dual WAN failover functionality

Romain Pillon rpillon at interdata.fr
Thu Apr 16 02:47:32 EDT 2009

Hi Jason,

In order to make your redundancy, You have to think it at different level :
=> At Wan level : you need the SSG5 to automatically detect that your WAN
link is broken. Here is how you can make it.
* Configure default WAN link with a default route preference at 10
* On default WAN interface, configure TrackIP to ping your default GW, a
router on your provider's network or your provider's DNS. The goal is to
check full connectivity to Internet (if the two WAN links are provide by the
same provider, it is not necessary as the 2 link shall goes down the same
time)
* Configure backup WAN link with a default route preference at 20

=> At VPN level : a little more difficult. You have to solutions : using VPN
group with policy-based VPN or using routed-based VPN and backup at routing
level. I will explain routed-based VPN (I prefer).
* Create a zone for you VPN traffic and activate "Asymmetric VPN"
* Create 2 tunnel interfaces (tunnel.1 and tunnel.2) and put it in VPN zone
* Create your 4 VPN Gateway : 2 binded on default WAN interface and 2 binded
on backup WAN interface
* Create your 4 Autokey ike using the 4 gateways. Bind the 2 using default
WAN on tunnel.1 and the 2 using the backup WAN on tunnel.2. Active VPN
monitor (+ rekey + optimized) on each (with default settings)
* Create your routes to LAN behind other SSG with no next-hop and through
tunnel.1 with preference 10
* Create your routes to LAN behind other SSG with no next-hop and through
tunnel.2 with preference 20
* Create your policy from Trust to VPN, DMZ to VPN or anything you need...

How will it work ?
You will have 2 default routes but using only the one with lower preference.
If trackIP failed, interface will be "administratively" be DOWN and default
route inactive so the Internet traffic will used other link.
You 4 VPN will be always UP. The routes with preference 10 will be used by
default. If the link comes down, VPN will comes down too and route will be
inactive so traffic to other LANs will used the backup VPN. "Asymetric VPN"
will authorized to failover between VPNs without disabling session so
traffic will failover "transparently" for users.

Regards,

--
Romain PILLON
Network Engineer