[j-nsp] Juniper M20 LACP oddness.

Jonathan Call lordsith49 at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 24 16:20:01 EDT 2009

Has anyone encountered an issue where an etherchannel interface appears to be only using a portion of its available bandwidth?

I have a very straightforward LACP enabled etherchannel interface:

chassis {
    aggregated-devices {
        ethernet {
            device-count 4;
        }
    }
}

    ae0 {
        aggregated-ether-options {
            lacp {
                active;
            }
        }
        unit 0 {
            family inet {
                address x.x.x.x/30;
            }
            family inet6 {
                address x:x:x::x/126;
            }
        }
    }

    ge-0/0/0 {
        gigether-options {
            802.3ad ae0;
        }
    }

     ge-1/0/0 {

        gigether-options {

            802.3ad ae0;

        }

    }

I have two other interfaces ge-2/0/0 and ge-3/0/0 that are also configured but are not connected yet.

Everything checks out ok:

router>  show interfaces ae0
Physical interface: ae0, Enabled, Physical link is Up
  Interface index: 128, SNMP ifIndex: 35
  Link-level type: Ethernet, MTU: 1514, Speed: 2000mbps, Loopback: Disabled,
  Source filtering: Disabled, Flow control: Disabled, Minimum links needed: 1,
  Minimum bandwidth needed: 0

router> show lacp interfaces ae0
ggregated interface: ae0
    LACP state:       Role   Exp   Def  Dist  Col  Syn  Aggr  Timeout  Activity
      ge-0/0/0       Actor    No    No   Yes  Yes  Yes   Yes     Fast    Active
      ge-0/0/0     Partner    No    No   Yes  Yes  Yes   Yes     Slow    Active
      ge-1/0/0       Actor    No    No   Yes  Yes  Yes   Yes     Fast    Active
      ge-1/0/0     Partner    No    No   Yes  Yes  Yes   Yes     Slow    Active
      ge-2/0/0       Actor    No   Yes    No   No   No   Yes     Fast    Active
      ge-2/0/0     Partner    No   Yes    No   No   No   Yes     Fast   Passive
      ge-3/0/0       Actor    No   Yes    No   No   No   Yes     Fast    Active
      ge-3/0/0     Partner    No   Yes    No   No   No   Yes     Fast   Passive
    LACP protocol:   Receive State    Transmit State           Mux State
      ge-0/0/0             Current     Slow periodic  Collecting distributing
      ge-1/0/0             Current     Slow periodic  Collecting distributing
      ge-2/0/0       Port disabled       No periodic            Detached
      ge-3/0/0       Port disabled       No periodic            Detached

When the network traffic for this ae0 interface reaches about 1Gbps we begin to experience packet loss and other issues indicative of link saturation. Our graphing also shows the link plateauing at the 1Gbps level as well. Everything appears to be configured and operating correctly but we do not appear to be able to cross the 1Gbps threshold. This is a  Juniper M20 running JunOS 8.3R3.4

Jonathan