[j-nsp] Juniper's IMSG

Jack Damn 455rocket at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 12:56:23 EDT 2009

Good day,

I am currently investigating session border controllers (SBC)
offerings out there for a customer
and I see that Juniper has this Integrated Multi-Service Gateway
(IMSG) feature that could apparently
provide SBC function to a M-series router.

I am seeking some comments from either people actually using this
functionality or who has done
some research on how this technology compares to other vendors such as
ACME or Nextpoint/Genband.

I have sifted through the 9.5 documentation and found IMSG to be
somewhat "thin" in terms of features and
flexibility. I was hoping to see more complete and fine-grained call
admission control which seems to be effective on
a global context and not per peer.  Also deeper signaling alteration
and translation support would be more
than welcome.

Maybe it is just a matter of code maturity as IMSG seems to be at it's
beginnings. Juniper might be on the right
track and needs to evolve the product with feature-sets similar to the
SBC vendors having longer track records.
I like the fact to have the SBC function incorporated into the router.

Thanks for your feedback.

-JD