[j-nsp] MPLS VPN Load-balancing

Steven Brenchley bresteven at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:08:31 EDT 2009

Hi Christian,
     The problem your hitting is a limitation of the M10i chip set.  It can
only look at the top two labels and since both top labels are the same for
all this traffic it's going to look like the same flow and send it all
across the same link.  The only way I've been able to get a simulance of
load balancing is by creating multiple LSP's between the same end points and
manually push different traffic across the different LSP's.  It's really
clunky but there are no switches that will work around this limitation on
the current M10i CFEB.
      If you where using a T-series, M320,M120, or MX router you don't have
this limitation.  They can all go deeper into the packet to determine load
balance.
      On the a semi brighter side, on the horizon there are some new Ichip
based CFEB's which will not have this limitation.  I don't recall when those
will be available but you could probably get a hold of your SE and get a
time table from them.

Steven Brenchley

Steven Brenchley