[j-nsp] Trunking routed vlan interfaces on a Juniper mx960

Brian Fitzgerald FitzgeraldB at camosun.bc.ca
Fri Aug 21 18:31:29 EDT 2009

Thanks Nilesh, that helps clarify some things that have been nagging at
me.

 We are running 9.3, so the knobs are sort-of there, and we are using
them for ports where we know the mode of operation is consistent (access
or trunk, with the associated bridge normalization - locally connected
machines, equipment, and services).

Good to know they have evolved to support mixed-use support.

Where we use the old-style config is on ports that are mixed services -
multiple layers of tagging, mixed tag values in the same bridge (with
and without normalization or IRB interfaces), sub-interfaces associated
with other bridge routing-instances, VPLS, VRFs and logical routers -
and we really are using the whole gamut on one interface at the same
time.  It also maintains consistency of configuration on multi-service
interfaces with a number of other M-Series routers we have in service.

I guess it depends on what you already have deployed and are comfortable
with, what you are primarily using the box for (switch or router) and
just how complex what you are trying to do is...

Thanks for the update - more than I could find out from the docs ;-)

Brian