[j-nsp] bfd = busted failure detection :)

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Dec 15 03:53:44 EST 2009

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 04:16:23 pm Richard A
Steenbergen wrote:

> As for GR vs NSR, we're actually in the process of
>  turning GR off in favor of NSR. So far, in very limited
>  tests mind you, ISSU has actually worked for us without
>  anything exploding or catching on fire (surprising I
>  know :P). Also, NSR you can turn on and off without
>  causing any impact to the router, but GR causes protocol
>  bounces when you turn it on/off. Thus we decided it is
>  better to ditch GR now, with the hope of working NSR and
>  widespread ISSU success in the future. :)

We've always been in favour of the NSR concept since
inception, but the reason we didn't choose it at the time
was because of limited protocol support (early days of JUNOS
9.x). Also, only a handful of boxes on the Cisco side
support(ed) NSR, yet we like to standardize feature sets
even between vendors.

As at today, NSR supports nearly all major protocols in
JUNOS, so it's come back to the table for consideration.
Your feedback is certainly encouraging.

Until then, it's Graceful Restart for now (which, for better
or worse, we've been happy with these past 2 years).

Cheers,

Mark.