[j-nsp] PFE-forwarded IPv6

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Dec 23 02:10:54 EST 2009

Excerpts from Truman Boyes's message of Tue Dec 22 20:12:34 -0800 2009:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> You can use any of your DPCs. On non-MX JUNOS routers you need to have tunnel
> pics (ie. packet that needs to be encapsulated/tunneled/etc will switch from
> PFE to PIC to PFE). MX does not require this because you can make the DPC
> perform tunnel-services.
>
> Once you create the tunnel-services function on the DPC, you can associate the
> IPIP tunnel interface with the tunnel service. Ie. Change the IPIP.0 to:
> ip-3/0/0.0, which corresponds to your FPC 3 PIC 0, port 0 unit 0.

That seems to have done the trick.

One thing I found when trying this on my platform is that configuring:

fpc 3 {
    pic 0 {
        tunnel-services {
            bandwidth 1g;
        }
    }
}

Which is:

FPC 3            REV 15   750-021157   xxxxxx            DPCE 40x 1GE R TX
  CPU            REV 03   710-022351   xxxxxx            DPC PMB
  PIC 0                   BUILTIN      BUILTIN           10x 1GE(LAN) RJ45

Yields an ip-3/0/10, instead of the ip-3/0/0 that's shown as an example in the documentation.

I configured this, and traffic passes just fine.

Thanks for the tip Truman.

Cheers,
jonathan