[j-nsp] ISIS and BFD

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Dec 29 07:23:23 EST 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 06:29:27 pm
martin.mogensen at bt.com wrote:

> The feedback I've had previously from Juniper is the
>  re-establishment of the adjacency even though BFD is
>  filtered is intended behaviour. A BFD session isn't a
>  requirement for re-establishing the adjacency - BFD is
>  instead used for tearing down the adjacency in case of
>  BFD timeout *after* the BFD session has been
>  established.

This would make sense to me, and perhaps, something I'd
support if BFD decided to "go off the rails".

However, all things being equal, in most cases, failure of
BFD packets to be sent/received across a link would likely
lead to a failure of the IGP frames/packets from being
sent/received on the link anyway.

While BFD is meant to be more aggressive than the IGP with
regard to link liveliness checking, with the exception of
massive network or device instability, I'm trying to think
up a situation where BFD packets are traversing a link, then
suddenly stop doing so, but all other packets (including
IGP) are traversing the link just fine.

Nonetheless, such a fail-safe (independence of link state
adjacency formation from BFD up/down status) would be
useful, but only if I had a knob to turn such a sub-feature
of BFD on or off.

Cheers,

Mark.