[j-nsp] M7i DHCP Relay

Kevin Wormington kworm at sofnet.com
Thu Dec 31 11:23:40 EST 2009

I am trying to get DHCP relay working using either [forwarding-options
dhcp-relay] or [forwarding-options helpers bootp] on an M7i w/IQ2
ethernet running 9.6R1.13.  I have several double-tagged and single
tagged vlans on interface ge-0/0/3 and am wanting to do relay on several
double-tagged units that are unnumbered to lo0.0.  The bootp helper
doesn't seem to forward/relay any requests if the interface is
unnumbered - it works fine if the interface has an IP.  DHCP-relay seems
to effect all of the units on ge-0/0/3 even though I only specify a
certain unit to operate on.  I have included config snippets, I have
dhcp-relay configured on interface ge-0/0/3.5032 and it does seem to
relay for it, but it also stops dhcp relay traffic on ge-0/0/3.100 that
is being done by other devices; it's like it has a dhcp filter for the
whole port.  Has anyone run across this?

--- config snippets ---

[edit forwarding-options]
dhcp-relay {
     server-group {
         rs1 {
             xx.xx.xx.xx;
         }
     }
     group dslagg {
         active-server-group rs1;
         relay-option-82 {
             circuit-id;
         }
         interface ge-0/0/3.5032;
     }
}

[edit interfaces ge-0/0/3]
description "EX4200 port ge-1/0/23";
flexible-vlan-tagging;
encapsulation flexible-ethernet-services;
unit 100 {
     description "Management VLAN VRRP";
     vlan-id 100;
     family inet {
         address xx.xx.0.253/24 {
             vrrp-group 1 {
                 virtual-address xx.xx.0.1;
                 priority 254;
                 authentication-type md5;
                 authentication-key ""; ## SECRET-DATA
             }
         }
     }

     }
}

unit 5032 {
     description "TA5K DSL Test";
     vlan-tags outer 5 inner 32;
     family inet {
         unnumbered-address lo0.0 preferred-source-address xx.xx.xx.1;
     }
}