[j-nsp] Upgrade from M10i?

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Tue Feb 3 14:48:18 EST 2009

> The problem with MX in such small configurations is the base chassis
> cost. I'm fairly certain someone at Juniper was sniffing glue when they
> priced the 240 and 480, the difference is so minimal that there is no
> good reason not to just buy all 960s. Unless you are just completely
> unable to get enough space at any price, the only reason I've seen to
> ever buy less than a 960 is that the 240/480 will run on 90-120V AC
> while the 960 requires 200-240V. If you really do need a small platform
> and limited number of ports, it is extra hard to cost justify the MX vs
> other platforms.

Different strokes for different folks. Our "sweet spot" is definitely
the MX480, and we also have a couple of MX240s. We run them all on DC
power.

With some months worth of production traffic through these boxes we
have of course found a few bugs - but in general we're very satisfied
with our MX boxes.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no