[j-nsp] JUNOS resolves indirect next-hops using other BGP routes

Tore Anderson tore at linpro.no
Wed Feb 4 08:53:28 EST 2009

* david.roy at orange-ftgroup.com

> The protocol next-hop seems to be resolvable : but it is not directly
> known in our IGP. So you have a recursive lookup til you find a
> forwarding next-hop.

Yes, exactly.  What surprises me, however, is that EGP routes is
considered at all when resolving indirect next-hops of iBGP routes.  I
have problems coming up with a scenario where that behaviour would be
desireable, and the JUNOS documentation I quoted is also quite clear on
the fact that it is intra-AS OSPF, IS-IS, RIP, or static routes that are
supposed be used for next-hop resolving.

The behaviour I expect (and want) is for routes that come with a
next-hop that is not resolvable through my IGP should be ignored
outright and _not_ be placed in the PFE, even though the next-hop is
resolvable using a BGP route.

Regards,
--
Tore Anderson