[j-nsp] JUNOS resolves indirect next-hops using other BGP routes

Tore Anderson tore at linpro.no
Wed Feb 4 09:23:39 EST 2009

* david.roy at orange-ftgroup.com

> Yes I understand, you want is to disable recursive lookup, but I
> believe that you can't do that.

Well, yes, but _only for AS-external routes_.  I need recursive lookups
to happen from OSPF-learnt routes, or else my border routers won't be
able to use any other than their own directly-connected transit links.
(Unless I end up using next-hop-self mangling, that is.)

> Just for information could you give me the output of the command :
>
> show route resolution 195.18.241.97 extensive

Sure:

tore at mx240> show route resolution 195.18.241.97 extensive
Tree Index: 1, Nodes 0, Reference Count 1
Contributing routing tables: inet.3
Tree Index: 2, Nodes 274975, Reference Count 1
Contributing routing tables: inet.0 inet.3
Tree Index: 3, Nodes 274975, Reference Count 1
Contributing routing tables: inet.0 inet.2

If I add the uplink network towards AS3307 into OSPF (passive), the
output doesn't change, but the next-hop is then resolved correctly
(using the OSPF route) to the router where the transit link from AS3307
is connected (instead of resolving to another router where the AS12552
transit link is connected).

There isn't any difference in output from the "show route resolution
195.18.241.97 extensive" command in the two cases, though, except for
the node count, which I assume is expected due to fluctuations in the
routing table size.

Regards,
--
Tore Anderson