[j-nsp] network engineering

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Fri Feb 6 10:20:31 EST 2009

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009, Matthias Gelbhardt wrote:

> We have asymmetric routing in several cases. I would like to know, how you
> would deal against that? Is there a simple way to send the packets out of the
> same interface, they are received? But on the other hand, many packets are
> send out by us, and we do not know, where the other side is sending their
> packets into our network.

There is a common misconception that asymmetric routing is somehow bad.
Yes, it can make troubleshooting connectivity problems a bit more
involved, but asymmetry is a perfectly normal condition.  Also, even if
you were to enforce symmetry within your network, there is no guarantee
that the path will remain symmetric once it leaves your network.

jms