[j-nsp] EX Series issue - Update!

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Feb 11 05:18:30 EST 2009

On Monday 29 December 2008 06:26:42 pm Felix Schueren wrote:

> which version of JUNOS-EX did you use? We saw similiar
> effects with 9.1 and (to a lesser extent) with 9.2.
> Debugged for a good while, everything 100% correct,
> reboot, everything worked. We later learned that "restart
> ethernet-switching" would probably have been sufficient.
> There are quite a few entries regarding vlan & RVIs & not
> learning MACs in the recent release notes, most of them
> are cleared by restarting the ethernet-switching-daemon.
> You should definetely install 9.3R2.8 if you haven't
> already.

Okay, so we experienced a somewhat similar issue today with
our EX3200's, and remembered this thread - I thought I'd
pick up on it.

We are running JunOS 9.3R2.8 on our unit, some 38 days now.

We changed the name of a VLAN under '[edit vlans]', say from
'a' to 'b'. The actual VLAN ID remained the same. Upon a
'commit', traffic to the end-user was no longer being
forwarded by the switch.

After a bit of debugging, we decided to try a different
VLAN, say 'c', with a different VLAN ID. That worked!

Re-trying the original VLAN ID with its modified VLAN name,
'b', and committing, still blocked traffic from being
forwarded to the end-user.

We then re-traced this thread, and gracefully restarted the
'ethernet-switching' process on the switch. This took about
30 seconds to work (these EX boxes are really slow), and
everything was back to normal. The modified VLAN name and
the original VLAN ID was working, forwarding traffic to the
end-user.

This is a very nasty bug, and really needs to be fixed. It
makes recycling VLAN ID's a nightmare, should they become
available and need to be assigned to other users.

I'm going to log a case with JTAC.

Cheers,

Mark.