[j-nsp] SNMP interface index change after upgrade to 9.2

Tom Storey tom at snnap.net
Fri Feb 13 05:40:32 EST 2009

On 13/02/2009, at 6:21 PM, Tore Anderson wrote:

> Hey, Juniper, if you're reading this:  Do you think that I ENJOY
> wasting
> hours of my to clear up the mess this «feature» has caused,

If using MRTG, and particularly if you use cfgmaker, you could always
specify the "-ifref=descr" option.

This will cause interface names rather than interface indexes to be
placed in the generated config. This way if the ifIndex changes your
graphs dont break.

However, this would require at least one more SNMP operation each time
MRTG runs to associate ifNames with ifIndexes (I am unsure if MRTG
will do one walk to get a list of all ifNames and associated
ifIndexes, or if it does it per interface).

But at least you wont have to suffer the agony of updating all of your
MRTG configs to accomodate changed ifIndexes. I too got over doing
this, and now dont generate any MRTG configs using cfgmaker without
the above option.

Example from one of my MRTG configs, though its from a Cisco:

Target[myrouter_FastEthernet0_0.2]: \FastEthernet0/0.2:public at myrouter:

Give it a try.

Tom