[j-nsp] SNMP interface index change after upgrade to 9.2

Malte von dem Hagen mvh at hosteurope.de
Fri Feb 13 07:30:02 EST 2009

Hej,

Am 13.02.2009 13:15 Uhr, Chris Adams schrieb:
> Um, how about using modern software that doesn't assume static interface
> IDs?  Interface IDs are never guaranteed to be static, so proper SNMP
> software should handle them changing.

what, if not ifIndex, should be a reasonable index for Interfaces?
Neither ifName nor interface descriptions possibly stored in vendor
specific MIBs are suitable values for constant reference.

It is the ifIndex by design. Its main purpose IS referencing interfaces,
and a simple update of the OS must not change them. I consider this as
broken, like Tore does.

rgds,

Malte