[j-nsp] SNMP interface index change after upgrade to 9.2

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Fri Feb 13 14:24:20 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 08:51:23AM +0100, Tore Anderson wrote:
> * Malte von dem Hagen
>
> > we filed that as a PR for the EX-Series we updated from 9.1 to 9.2 a
> > while ago, and got the response from JTAC that this is expected behaviour.
>
> Unbelievable.  This provokes me!  I really hope that the idiot(s) that
> made this design desicion are no longer working at Juniper.

Normally I'm the one yelling at Juniper when they do something stupid
and break things for no reason, but honestly... Any software which
relies on static ifIndex mappings between polling cycles is
fundamentally flawed, period, end of discussion. There is absolutely no
excuse for this, it is beyond trivial to map data by ifDescr, and the
SNMP spec even tells you that ifIndex is not to be used for this kind of
thing.

I really don't understand why people still can't figure out how to do
this. Here is an example of a very compact poller which does efficient
retrieval using snmp bulk walk. All you need is php and the netsnmp lib,
it's just a wrapper to a very simple C implementation which is 100x more
efficient that the utter crap you'll find in mrtg, rtg, etc. You can
easily use this to interface with any number of tools like rrdtool, sql,
etc.

http://www.e-gerbil.net/ras/snmp-php