[j-nsp] L2 vs L3 policing rates

Stefan Fouant sfouant at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 22:41:16 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Marlon Duksa <mduksa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi - anyone know if there is a way to set policing rates based on L2 packet
> length, as opposed L3 as it is default on Junos?Thanks,

I could be wrong but my assumption would be that this is not possible.
 When a packet enters the router on an incoming PIC the Layer 2 header
information is stripped by the I/O manager prior to creation of the
notification cell which is sent to the IPII Processor.  The IPII
Processor handles the forwarding-table lookup, firewalling and
policing features, amongst other things.  As the L2 header information
is not present in the notification cell, the IPII processor has no
awareness of the L2 information - therefore policing on things such as
L2 packet length is not possible.

Somebody may correct me if I am wrong but this is my understanding...

--
Stefan Fouant

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.