[j-nsp] group re0 routing-options

Felix Schueren felix.schueren at hosteurope.de
Mon Feb 16 08:15:33 EST 2009

Patrik Olsson wrote:
> Silly me. Yes of course, if the route points to fxp0, the route will be
> used for forwarding, but no packets can transit from the PFE there. But
> Felix, are you sure packets go in the other direction?
yup. We've had it happen.

>How does the connection between PFE and RE handle this?

badly. :p

It uses the same path as the control traffic, i.e. OSPF, BGP, IS-IS
packets, FPC health monitoring etc.

Incidentally, I highly recommend placing a spoof-protect filter on your
fxp0 interface (something like: from source-address fxp0-network;
dest-addr fxp0-network; then accept; rest then reject), because all
packets entering fxp0 (e.g., broadcasts) with a non-fxp0-network
destination will be sent to the PFE and be forwarded there.

Kind regards,

Felix

--
Felix Schüren
Head of NOC

Host Europe GmbH - http://www.hosteurope.de
Welserstraße 14 - D-51149 Köln - Germany
Telefon: (0800) 4 67 83 87 - Telefax: (01805) 66 32 33
HRB 28495 Amtsgericht Köln - UST ID DE187370678
Geschäftsführer:
Uwe Braun - Alex Collins - Mark Joseph - Patrick Pulvermüller