[j-nsp] dhcp proxy

Patrik Olsson df at webkom.se
Wed Feb 18 00:36:15 EST 2009

>>  DHCP proxy would maintain DHCP client and server function within the box
>> and it would appear to the external client as a DHCP server and to an
>> external server DHCP server as a DHCP client.It manipulates DHCP packets
>> much more than DHCP relay does.
>> For example when a client issues a DHCP release, it would issue it to the
>> DHCP proxy rather than the real external DHCP server, which would be the
>> case in DHCP relay scenario.
>
> Then I believe you're out of luck on the M / MX series.

Indeed since then the M/MX needs to keep all traceability data aswell,
meaning that all boxes in the network would need to do that that has
this role.

If the client still has a DHCP client, isn't DHCP relay enough? To a
central server with option 82 for tracing the origin of the client?

Cheers
Patrik