[j-nsp] Using third-party VC cables with the EX 4200

Tore Anderson tore at linpro.no
Wed Jan 14 05:53:02 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm deploying EX 4200 swithces in a data centre, putting one in each
rack and combining them all into a Virtual Chassis.  Some places the
racks are placed too far apart so that the 3m cables (the longest that
Juniper supplies) won't reach, however.

I'd like to avoid using wasting the uplink ports in order to connect the
switches.  Seeing that the cables appear to be plain 8-lane PCIe, I was
wondering if anyone has tried using longer cables from third-party
vendors (such as Molex, who have them in lengths up to 7m)?

Regards,
--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - Changing the game