[j-nsp] SNMP polling a logical-system without encoding it as LS/RI at community

Zenon Mousmoulas zmousm at admin.grnet.gr
Thu Jan 15 04:13:35 EST 2009

Hi,

We have a script that attempts to do network discovery, polling every
system and then its' neighbors through SNMP, so it's practically based
on the assumption that the community string remains the same on every
system it comes across.

Now this script should discover a JUNOS logical system, however,
according to the documentation, it needs to use a different community
in order to target specifically that logical system:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos93/swconfig-net-mgmt/routing-instance-identifying-junos-nm.html#id-10865737

This is not very convenient because it breaks the previously stated
assumption. Is it at all possible to configure snmp so that when the
logical system is polled on a specific address (e.g. the one assigned
to its' lo0.<someunit>) it will reply as if the specially encoded
community had been specified? Is it possible i.e. to identify the
logical system not through the community but rather through the
destination address?

I've also tried the suggestion in the next paragraph:

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos93/swconfig-net-mgmt/routing-instance-in-snmp-community-specifying-junos-nm.html#routing-instance-in-snmp-community

However it did not make a difference and I'm not really sure how it
correlates to the above.

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Best regards,
Zenon Mousmoulas