[j-nsp] M10i - %KERN-1-RT_PFE: RT msg op 1 (PREFIX ADD) failed, err 6 (No Memory) / RT msg op 3 (PREFIX CHANGE) failed, err 6 (No Memory)

Nilesh Khambal nkhambal at juniper.net
Sun Jan 25 02:23:17 EST 2009

Hi Derick,

I doubt that its a memory leak unless some new feature that could cause
memory leak (due to a bug) or new configuration was added recently that
could suddenly increase the number of routes on the router. It also can not
be a memory leak if the router was running for 2.5 yrs without any reboot.
Sometimes, this problem may happen on routers that are running for years
without any reboot. DRAM on cfeb may get too much fragmented (just like a PC
RAM). When any route operation such as ADD is done by the router, it may
fail under such conditions if the router can not allocate contiguous block
of memory (unfragmented) large enough to hold the routing data from the
operation being performed. This can be completely normal and a simple reboot
will fix this issue. This is needed since router does not have a defrag
function like a PC :). If you think its not the reason, please work with
JTAC to identify the root cause of the problem in future.

Thanks,
Nilesh.