[j-nsp] EX-series automation, NETCONF woes

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Jan 28 11:00:27 EST 2009

On 27 Jan 2009, at 16:23, Ross Vandegrift wrote:

> 3) XML is far more complicated than SNMP with marginal benefits to a
> switching environment.

This whole message was a great read, and I'm glad you took the time to
write it. On this particular point, though, I think you need to
compare apples with apples.

XML is a data representation; SNMP is a protocol. It would make more
sense to compare XML with ASN.1, in which case I'd assert ASN.1 is far
more complicated -- to the extent that you don't think about
constructing or parsing PDUs by hand, and instead use tools to do the
job for you.

If you take the same approach with NETCONF and use tools to generate,
validate and parse request and response documents, then I'd suggest
that the difference in complexity boils down to how good your tools are.

Joe