[j-nsp] Sanitising m/t series routers?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Jul 7 11:45:59 EDT 2009

> From: "Stacy W. Smith" <stacy at acm.org>
> Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 08:54:02 -0600
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> On Jul 7, 2009, at 8:36 AM, Chris Adams wrote:
>
> > Once upon a time, Stacy W. Smith <stacy at acm.org> said:
> >> FWIW, J-series offers a slightly easier method of:
> >>
> >> 1) Connect via console and login to cli
> >
> > If you can connect to the console, you can also just paperclip the
> > reset
> > button for 15 seconds, which resets to factory defaults.
>
> I believe that resets the config to factory-default, but I don't
> believe that deletes old configs, logs, home directories, etc.

If you really care about not passing on your configuration and
passwords, I really suggest dd. Even if you rm every file, that simply
marks them as deleted and frees the space for new use, but it does not
actually remove anything and it's pretty trivial to get stuff back.

Also, remember to wipe both the flash and disk.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)