[j-nsp] Sanitising m/t series routers?

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Tue Jul 7 12:39:18 EDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 03:42:27PM +1000, Andrew Cheng wrote:
> Hi There
>
> I have to sanitise a large number of routers (ie, remove all configs,
> logs.. everything), and
> was wondering if there was a magic way of doing it remotely?
>
> There is the tedious way of going through and deleteing /var/log, all
> configs.. etc etc, but surely
> there must be a better way?

Speaking as someone who maintains a large collection of other people's
router configs from things I bought off eBay that still had them loaded,
I highly recommend you dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/whatever your /config,
/altconfig, and /var devices. Anything less can and will land you in my
collection. :)

For some reason Juniper had a way to sanitize routers for FIPS images
but not for regular 'ol JUNOS.