[j-nsp] Multiple usage of VRRP-Groups (JunOS)

Terry Baranski tbaranski at mail.com
Wed Jul 8 17:18:35 EDT 2009

Andrew Cheng wrote:
> is it okay to use the same VRRP-group (i.e. 20) multiple
> times on the same physical interface?
>
> We want to use more than 255 VLANs on an physical interface
> so we have to use the same group several times or use the
> same VRRP-group (i.e. > 1) on every VLAN subunit.

It works fine for us in practice, though you'll find bizarre statements to
the contrary in the JunOS documentation, such as this in 9.1 and earlier:

"The following restrictions apply: On a single routing platform, you cannot
configure the same VRRP group on multiple interfaces"

And this in newer versions:

"On a single routing platform, you can assign a unique VRRP group to only
one interface..."

-Terry