[j-nsp] How to upgrade junos 5.0.0r8.1

Tim Eberhard xmin0s at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:10:14 EDT 2009

George,

It's not possible to preform any kind of hitless upgrade..

The Netscreen must reboot once the new code is loaded. So you must factor in
the time it will take for the firewall to reload in addition to the hit it
will take when the wall comes back online and the traffic starts to flood
back. Depending on the size of your network/amount of VPN tunnels it could
take a couple of minutes for everything to ramp back up.

Downgrading code is possible depending what code version you're going to. It
can be a bit problematic if say you go to 6.X code from 5.0 but if you had
planned on going from 5.0 to 5.4 going back shouldn't be much of a problem.

Good luck,

-Tim Eberhard