[j-nsp] DMVPN on Juniper

Derick Winkworth dwinkworth at att.net
Sat Jul 18 15:01:23 EDT 2009

Juniper really doesn't have a JUNOS based "any-to-any" type encryption solution.

The sad part is that if they supported NHRP and GDOI, then they would have a solution that would be compatible with Cisco.... DMVPN is really just GRE w/NHRP and some propriety hooks into IPSec... take those propriety hooks out and its just GRE w/NHRP... now put GDOI on the WAN interface... and you have a far better any-to-any encrytion solution.  NO per-tunnel encryption state.  In fact, if you push the next-hop cache down to the spokes, then potentially there is no setup time at all for spoke-to-spoke communication...

You would think that would be a great way of getting an existing Cisco customer to try a Juniper box if they have an any-to-any encryption requirement.  Surely there are lots of these customers since ethernet WAN and MPLS WAN services are so prolific now...