[j-nsp] Hidden IPv6 Route inside BGP - but why?

Hendrik Kahmann hendrik.kahmann at ewetel.de
Mon Jul 20 10:05:45 EDT 2009

Hello,

we have a problem with a IPv6 route in the lab, which is hidden for us. What
could be the reason for that? In the most documents we can only find
information around "next-hop unusable" but this does not seem to be the
reason for us.

Following excerpt has been grabbed from one of our machines:

ME at OurMachine> show route table inet6.0 2001:4178::/32 hidden extensive

inet6.0: 184 destinations, 189 routes (37 active, 0 holddown, 147 hidden)
2001:4178::/32 (1 entry, 0 announced)
         BGP                 /-101
                Next hop type: Indirect
                Next-hop reference count: 147
                Source: xxxx:xxxx::xxx
                Next hop type: Router, Next hop index: 1355
                Next hop: xxxx::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx via xe-1/2/0.0, selected
                Protocol next hop: xxx:xxxx::fc1
                Indirect next hop: fa12958 1048605
                State: <Hidden Int Ext>
                Local AS:  OurAS Peer AS:  OurAS
                Age: 4:50:19    Metric2: 10
                Task: BGP_OurAS.xxx:xxxx::fc1+179
                AS path: 8767 15456 I
                Localpref: 100
                Router ID: x.x.x.x
                Indirect next hops: 1
                        Protocol next hop: xxxx:xxxx::fc1 Metric: 10
                        Indirect next hop: fa12958 1048605
                        Indirect path forwarding next hops: 1
                                Next hop type: Router
                                Next hop: xxxx::xxx:xxx:xxxx:xxxx via
xe-1/2/0.0
                        xxx:xxxx::xxx/128 Originating RIB: inet6.0
                          Metric: 10                      Node path count: 1
                          Forwarding nexthops: 1
                                Nexthop: xxxx::xxx:xxx:xxxx:xxxx via
xe-1/2/0.0

Is there something pointing to a reason or a solution for this?

Kind regards,

Hendrik