[j-nsp] EX Feedback

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Fri Jul 24 07:05:23 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 01:30:56PM -0600, Brandon Bennett wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Paul Stewart <paul at paulstewart.org> wrote:
>
> > Considering the idea of 5 48 port EX4200 switches with 10GE uplinks in a
> > "ring" type setup or use the 5m cables on the back to do the same and save
> > the 10GE ports on the front.  The two end switches would have GigE
> > connections going to our distribution layer switches (Cat6500's).
>

> If you can do the virtual-chassis uplink ports in the back (up to 5m apart
> with a braided ring) then do it.  Like you said you will save the 10G
> uplinks and 128Gbps(marking performance included) vs 10Gbps.

Just a note: that 128Gbps looks to me like a 'true marketing number',
because of what ex-series show in cli is 32Gbps:

snar at Switch> show interfaces vcp-0
Physical interface: vcp-0, Enabled, Physical link is Down
  Type: 105, Link-level type: 70, MTU: 1514, Speed: 32000mbps

Well, there are two virtual-chassis interfaces, and they have
both input and output directions, and 32G * 2 * 2 is really 128Gbps
of marketing...

Or am I wrong, and virtual-chassis really can do 128Gbps full-duplex
on both ports ? And, anyway, 32Gbps is still better than 10Gbps
and saves uplink ports.