[j-nsp] RSVP Fast Reroute Node Protection

Harry Reynolds harry at juniper.net
Thu Jul 30 17:15:04 EDT 2009

FRR and link protection are not the same.

JUNOS supports FRR, and both link and link-node protection, as configured at the lsp ingress node. Node protection will only occur if the topology allows a next-nexthop, else you get the best available which is nexthop protection via a link bypass.

I think that you only need to configure the rsvp interface <interface-name> link-protection statement on the lsp's protection paths. That is to say, if the primary path exits a transit node on fe-0/1/1, and you want that node to provide link or link-node protection for that LSP, you would add the link-protection statement to some other rsvp/mpls enabled interface that is not Fast Ethernet-0/1/1. Adding the statement to the lsp's primary path interfaces should have no ill effect, but obviously no gain as the primary and link protection interfaces now share the same fate.

HTHs