[j-nsp] EX3200/4200 Uplink modules NOT hot swappable

Malte von dem Hagen mvh at hosteurope.de
Fri Jul 31 10:02:25 EDT 2009

Hi there, I just like to share with you:

It may be, the one or other of you reads the datasheet of EX3200/4200 switches
and runs over the following, unspectacular and expected passage with just a
slight nod:

"Uplink modules can be installed without powering down the switch, enabling
users to add high-speed connectivity at any time or migrate from one uplink type
to the other to deliver the ultimate in flexible, high-performance
interconnectivity."

from http://www.juniper.net/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000215-en.pdf

The above is wrong and promises, what J can't keep:
http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/general/uplink-module-ex3200-ex4200.html#jd0e161

Very evil when you build Virtual Chassis and keep in mind "well, if I need more
Uplink, I'll extend later...".

Lesson learned: Don't believe just data sheets. Good to have redundant switches.

rgds,

.m