[j-nsp] vlan setting in olive/qemu

Bit Gossip bit.gossip at chello.nl
Tue Jun 2 16:12:24 EDT 2009

Experts,
does anybody understand the meaning of the 2 vlan parameters in the
following entry:

-net nic,macaddr=00:1A:4B:91:F1:00,vlan=0,model=i82559er -net
tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap100,script=./qemu-ifup \

I have done the following tests:
- whatever VLAN I put there if I tcpdump on the tap interface, packets
are never tagged
- if I configure 2 olive instances one with vlan=0 and the other with
vlan=2 and put the 2 corresponding tap interfaces in the same bridge
group, the 2 olives talk to eachother as if they were both configured
with the same vlan value.

So my conclusion is that this vlan setting has NO effect at all.

Any idea?

Thanks,
Bit.