[j-nsp] MPLS for management VPN question

Richmond, Jeff Jeff.Richmond at frontiercorp.com
Thu Jun 4 09:16:42 EDT 2009

Jeff,

This isn't typically something that can be described in just a few short emails, as there are so many ways to do things. However, that said, here is a short sample config for an L3VPN VRF:

jeff at br01.xxxx> show configuration routing-instances
VPN.TEST {
    instance-type vrf;
    interface lo0.125;
    route-distinguisher 1.1.1.1:125;
    vrf-target target:1111:125;
}

In this case I have no physical interfaces in the VRF, just a loopback address on lo0.125. For this VPN I am just doing a simple vrf-target statement which uses the configured value as an import and export value for the VRF. So lo0.125 will be tagged with the community 1111:125, and any routes learned that also have that matching community will also get automatically imported in to the VRF. You can get much more granular, however, using explicit import and export filters.

Hope this helps.
-Jeff