[j-nsp] Cisco Compact Flash in m10i

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Jun 18 12:50:47 EDT 2009

> From: "palanchi" <palanchi at rutgers.edu>
> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:09:53 -0400
> Sender: juniper-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
>
> I followed Kevin Oberman's instructions posted 3 March 2009, where he
> explains how to zero out the first portion of the compact flash card.
> Worked great and boots our lab m10i.  I noticed a bootup message about not
> supporting APM.
>
> ad0: Device does not support APM
> ad0: 999MB <SMART CF SMICF+AB> at ata0-master PIO4
>
> Is this a problem or incompatibility I should be concerned about?

I don't imagine that an M10i is too concerned with whether a drive
supports Advanced Power Management. As far as I know, JunOS does not use
either the old APM or new(er) ACPI power management capabilities.

APM was replaced as the standard for power management several years ago
and more and more equipment no longer supports APM.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)