[j-nsp] IPV6 over PPP with radius

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Tue Mar 3 07:49:00 EST 2009

On 25-Feb-2009, at 02:44, fighter worker wrote:

> iam trying to implement IPV6 over PPPOE and i need to know if there
> is any
> modification to the PPPOE protocol

So long as both ends are capable of IPv6CP, and you have a strategy
for distributing addressing information to both sides (e.g. ND/RA,
DHCPv6, static configuration).

In my experience the hardest part of setting this stuff up is making
the RADIUS server understand the appropriate data types. And even
that's not very hard.

Both IOS and JUNOSe LNS' support address assignment to ND/RA/DHCPv6
clients based on attributes obtained from RADIUS, and also from local
pools.

It'd be handy if someone would write up exactly what they had to do to
turn on v6 for wholesale broadband users, I think; that would have
saved me some pain when I was setting this stuff up. Perhaps I'll do
that when I have a spare day.

Joe