[j-nsp] JunOS 9.4R1.8 - Memory Leak?

Tore Anderson tore at linpro.no
Thu Mar 5 12:49:37 EST 2009

Hi,

* Mark Tinka

> Anyone notice what looks like an RE memory leak/usage growth
> post a JunOS 9.4R1.8 upgrade?
>
> System here is RE-850 in an M7i with 1.5GB of DRAM.
>
> cflowd suspected; we've disabled it and appear to have
> arrested further growth in usage.

I just had a MX 240 with 9.4R1.8 crash hard today, no trace of any
reason in the logs as far as I can see.  When I got to the console it
was in some kind of a debugger, and I had to powercycle it to get it
back online ("reset" from the debugger just booted up in a single-user
shell or something like that).

We're using cflowd but not IS-IS.  I have two MX-es which are set up
almost identical, but the one that crashed are connected to an IX so it
has in excess of 40 BGP peers while the other one has only 5 - possibly
that caused it to go first?

The one that hasn't crashed (yet?) has very little free memory now:

> show system processes summary
last pid: 11142;  load averages:  0.00,  0.04,  0.08  up 21+07:24:22
17:42:18
116 processes: 4 running, 95 sleeping, 17 waiting

Mem: 1282M Active, 256M Inact, 120M Wired, 308M Cache, 69M Buf, 30M Free
Swap: 2048M Total, 2048M Free

  PID USERNAME  THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
   11 root        1 171   52     0K    12K RUN    499.0H 91.55% idle

While the recently booted one looks much better:

> show system processes summary
last pid:  1571;  load averages:  0.00,  0.03,  0.06  up 0+01:05:11
17:43:37
116 processes: 3 running, 95 sleeping, 18 waiting

Mem: 418M Active, 213M Inact, 108M Wired, 211M Cache, 69M Buf, 1046M Free
Swap: 2048M Total, 2048M Free

  PID USERNAME  THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU COMMAND
   11 root        1 171   52     0K    12K RUN     59:48 96.19% idle

They had almost identical uptimes prior to the crash, and the last boot
was due to the upgrade to 9.4.  I just opened a case with my local
support provider, haven't heard back from them yet.

I'll keep you posted if I learn more, and thanks in advance for doing
the same...

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson