[j-nsp] JunOS 9.4R1.8 - Memory Leak?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Mar 5 22:37:20 EST 2009

Once upon a time, Mark Tinka <mtinka at globaltransit.net> said:
> We were happy with 9.3R2.8, but need to support the enhanced
> CFEB's, so...

Funny you should mention that... I'm seeing SNMP problems on 9.3R2.8,
with both J-series and a couple of M10is.

On the J-series, I've got one in a remote POP with the proscribed USB
modem attached and a dialer interface configured for out-of-band access
(for when the backhaul fiber gets cut, like it did today).  If I even
just walk ifInOctets, when it hits the dialer interface, the SNMP daemon
freezes for 10 seconds (no response to any requests).  Remove the dialer
interface from the config, and SNMP works again.

My M10i problem is with the ifStackStatus table, which is supposed to
describe the relationship between interfaces (e.g. ct3-1/2/3 ->
t1-1/2/3:1 -> t1-1/2/3:1.0, fe-1/2/1 -> fe-1/2/1.99).  My in-house
written management tools use this when deciding which interfaces to
monitor and display for which purposes.  However, I'm getting screwed up
stacking, where the base interface (e.g. fe-1/2/1) may be listed as a
child of its own VLAN (fe-1/2/1.99).  It is random, appearing on an fe
with a bunch of VLANs on one router and on a SONET interface (unit 0 is
the parent of the base) on another.

I have tickets open on both of these, but so far JTAC hasn't been able
to duplicate; I was just wondering if anyone else was seeing similar (or
other) SNMP "oddness" with 9.3R2.8.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>