[j-nsp] SSG - Handling Load

Stefan Fouant sfouant at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 09:41:41 EST 2009

Paul,

Check the datasheets available on the Juniper site for details on the
amount of load these boxes can handle. For just raw FW performance the
SSG-140 should easily be able to handle the 20-50 Mbps load you intend
to throw at it.  One of the nice things that I really like about these
boxes is that you can selectively enable which traffic you intend to
do perform Anti-Virus and Anti-Spam, rather than all traffic, so if
you do your policies correctly you can choose to do Anti-Spam only for
SMTP traffic, or AV for SMTP attachments, http, and ftp for example.
Similarly you can choose to enable the IDS functions (which for an
SSG-140 is really just basic signature matching) for only certain
types of traffic. If you choose your configuration wisely you should
be able to scale the box to meet your needs.

If you can spend a little more you might opt for the SSG 320M which
would give you the flexibility to upgrade to JUNOS-ES in the future,
should you wish to do so.