[j-nsp] refresh PFE routes from JUNOS FIB

Jeff S Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Mon Mar 9 14:11:07 EDT 2009

Dear List,

Today, a colleague asked me if I knew of a way to refresh the routes in
a Juniper PFE, after having exhausted its SSRAM or heap memory, without
restarting it or otherwise causing impact to customer traffic.  I didn't
have an answer to this, but I figured someone else might.

Note there is not a standby PFE which can be switched to for a reboot of
the active one.  With enough config hacking, one could trick the box
into doing it via the forwarding-table export policy; but simple changes
that don't really alter the routes computed for FIB do not work.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz> +1-212-981-0607
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts