[j-nsp] JunOS 9.4R1.8 - Memory Leak?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Mar 12 20:04:34 EDT 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 02:22:26 am Tore Anderson wrote:

> Hey,

Hi Tore.

> The fine folks from nLogic and JTAC have a theory now,
> which is that the leak is related to a new process
> introduced in 9.4 called "lpdfd".

Right; the JTAC engineer working on our case came back to us
last night to say the exact same thing - the new LPDFD
process introduced in the 9.4 code base is logging quite
heavily.

It creates a fairly large log file under '/mfs/var/lpdfd/'
every 8hrs, approximately, which, as you say, is where the
leak is occurring.

We've disabled this process too and see RE memory
utilization reduction occurring slowly but surely.

LPDFD provides logging for things like VoIP, e.t.c.

> I'll have to monitor the memory utilisation on the
> routers for a few more days before I can be certain that
> we've nailed the bug, though, but I'm feeling optimistic.
>  You'll probably want to try disabling the process
> yourself.  Let me know how it goes!

--do--

Meanwhile, I'd say this is a recommended command for anyone
moving to 9.4R1.8. However, the actual bug appears to be
fixed in the 9.4R3, 9.5R1 and 9.6R1 or later.

Cheers,

Mark.