[j-nsp] End-to-end classification/queuing not being performed well for VPLS (LDP- or BGP-signalled)

David Ball davidtball at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 00:07:59 EDT 2009

  Just an update on this issue for anyone who cares.  Problem was EXP
classification for VPLS routing instances.

  Juniper confirms a problem with default EXP classifier for VPLS on
at least the T-series (meaning, it was broken).  As someone else
suggested in the thread, the default classifier is NOT overwriteable
with a custom one on the T-series (it IS on MXs).  To compound the
problem, if you attempted to apply a custom one via [edit
class-of-service routing-instances], not only would it not work, but
you'd have to restart the FPC to 'get it outta there'.
  9.2R3 has fix for default EXP classifier for VPLS, though problem
with breaking it by trying to apply a custom classifier still exists,
so you just need to 'remember' not to try to apply one.
  Uncovered other issues such as the way the PLP bit is maintained on
the T-series (needed to use 'copy-plp' hidden knob), and bug with
forwarding class mapping (needed to create a placeholder FC to my
queue #4, which wasn't previously used), but these are workaroundable.

David