[j-nsp] BUG import policy problem across VRFs

Felix Schueren felix.schueren at hosteurope.de
Wed Mar 18 03:48:28 EDT 2009

Jeff S Wheeler wrote:
> I posted about this back in September of 2008, but I don't think anyone
> took interest at that time, perhaps because I was looking at the issue
> on nothing more recent than JUNOS 8.5R1.14.  I noticed today this is
> still happening in JUNOS as recent as 9.3R2.8.  I bet if I checked 9.4,
> it would be there, too.
>
> Can someone from Juniper indicate if there is a PR# on this, or if more
> information is needed to file a bug?  The problem has been there since
> JUNOS 7.6R1.9 or earlier.
>
> If you import BGP routes from a VRF into the master routing-instance,
> the BGP import policy for the group will be evaluated twice for the
> routes that are installed into the inet.0 RIB.  This means things like
> local-preference add/subtract do not have the correct affect on the
> routes in inet.0, they have twice the intended affect.

I'm seeing the same thing, since at least 8.5R1.14, when importing a
subset of BGP from inet.0 into a VRF using a rib-group. The import
policy for the actual bgp peering contains (among other things):

term defaults {
    then {
        metric 100;
        local-preference 100;
        as-path-prepend <peer-as>;
    }
}

and shows up in inet.0 with an expected path like
peer-as peer-as as-x as-y

however, in vrf.inet.0 it appears as
peer-as peer-as peer-as as-x as-y

which sounds distinctly like the same behaviour - policies being applied
twice. I'm currently on 9.3R2.8, same story. I haven't raised a bug
report for this so far, but it seems like I should ;)

Kind regards,

Felix

--
Felix Schüren
Head of NOC

Host Europe GmbH - http://www.hosteurope.de
Welserstraße 14 - D-51149 Köln - Germany
Telefon: (0800) 4 67 83 87 - Telefax: (01805) 66 32 33
HRB 28495 Amtsgericht Köln - UST ID DE187370678
Geschäftsführer:
Uwe Braun - Alex Collins - Mark Joseph - Patrick Pulvermüller